Should I Really Consider These Web Hosts as the Best Ruby on Rails Hosting Providers?
HostAdvice has figured out the best Ruby on Rails hosting services after extensive research and testing on worldwide providers. What do they have to offer, and do they stand true to their reputation?
Here’s what we tested regarding hosting Ruby on Rails:
- User reviews
- Speed and performance
- Uptime commitment
- Variety of plans
- Establishment date
- Customer support
- Pricing policies
- Past incidents or awards
- Other secret ingredients you can ask us about :-)
Sure, many hosts provide basic RoR support. However, only a small number of hosting companies specialize in this service. Our AI technology separated the latter from the rest, and we are here to present the findings.
Let’s Get To Business – How Does Ruby on Rails Hosting Work?
First things first, what is Ruby on Rails? Ruby on Rails refers to the open-source software you can use to build web applications. It consists of two components.
Ruby is one of the top ten programming languages, a general-purpose one similar to Java or C language. However, people mostly use it in web programming. Rails is the framework used to create websites using Ruby. It establishes conventions for easier collaboration and maintenance.
Over one million web applications are currently built with RoR, demonstrating the popularity and workability of the framework. Extensive documentation and ecosystem support the mature open-source solution. In turn, you, as the end-user, get to create versatile web products.
However, an intuitive web application framework can only take you so far. For your Ruby on Rails-based web application to succeed, you need a Ruby on Rails web hosting solution that offers optimal support for the web framework.
Installing Ruby on your server will not be enough. In addition, you will also need Rails and probably RubyGems, the Ruby package manager.
But more on this later!
Now, Onto More Details – What Are The Benefits Of Ruby On Rails Web Hosting?
Ruby on Rails hosting is a must for people coding their web applications using the framework. While standard hosting packages lack these qualities, Ruby on Rails hosting offers built-in support for the framework. It is convenient when your web application doesn’t load like it’s supposed to or if it’s exposed to a malicious Ruby gem.
How To Choose From The Different Types Of Ruby On Rails Hosting Services?
The market offers many web hosting solutions to host Ruby on Rails website, such as shared, VPS, or dedicated hosting. If you are familiar with the different hosting types and their respective pros and cons - the same applies here.
For instance, shared hosting is the most affordable solution. However, you share the server with other users, accounting for fewer resources. For a dedicated server, it’s quite the opposite, and so on. In other words, all of these solutions come with a trade-off. So, it would be best to choose one according to your business needs and budget.
The Final Word - Our Recommended Parameters and How We Selected the Best Ruby on Rails Hosting Providers
- The Latest Version Of The Framework: Whether you deal with Ruby on Rails web development or launch an RoR-based product, you will need a web hosting Ruby on Rails supporting the framework’s latest version. The minimum criteria you should look for in a Ruby on Rails server hosting is a pre-installed version 1.8.7 of the Ruby language. Also, you should always give particular preference to higher versions. Since RoR continually rolls out updates, the hosting provider must update your application to the newest version and install gems as required.
- Intuitive Control Panel: Hosting Ruby on Rails should come with the particular convenience of deploying the updated websites as agile software development primarily focuses on rapid product development. You should consider the cPanel since it allows freedom to analyze what Ruby Gems are already installed and what other Ruby gems should be added.
- Ability To Configure Your Server: Having the ability to configure your server can make your life easier. For instance, the Ruby Version Manager – a platform that lets you use and manage multiple versions of Ruby – can often only be installed if you have root access.
- Additional Support And Flexibility: It would be best to consider providers offering additional support for SQLite, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases. In turn, you will get the ultimate flexibility for your hosted website.
- Security Features: In general, the minimum criteria include 128-bit data encryption, a data backup system, and disaster recovery, but you can always have your custom requirements.
- Speed and Bandwidth: RoR is quite heavy and demanding by itself. So, find a Ruby on Rails hosting able to handle these requirements. At this point, it’s best to look at our user reviews to see which Ruby on Rails hosts deliver on the load time front.
- Scalability Options: If you are willing to expand your business in the future, you will also need a web hosting provider to handle the growth. Get a Ruby on Rails host that makes the scaling process simple, no matter which servers you’re planning on migrating from and to.
- Customer Support: Whether you go for shared, VPS, or PaaS Ruby on Rails Hosting, you should always look for 24/7/365 multilingual support. However, Rails experts are thinner on the ground than other scripting experts. Due to this, you should look for a host with Ruby on Rails experts on its support team.