Domain Hosting in 2019 – The Top Services On The Market
Domain hosting is one of the oldest and most common forms of hosting available on the market. At its core, domain hosting is the service that lets companies choose their domain names (essentially your online address) and makes it easy to register them online.
Many companies offer domain hosting in addition to other services, but regardless of what type of hosting you need or the size of your company, you will always need a domain first. Even so, you should make sure to explore your options before simply choosing a domain.
Ask yourself some basic questions when selecting your hosting service:
- What features and perks does your domain come with?
- How long, and what type of contracts does your domain hosting offer?
- Do they offer additional hosting tools?
- Can I select more than one extension for my domain?
There are always other aspects to think about, but you can get on the right track with these answers.
Get started on your search with our expert and user domain hosting reviews, and find the right platform for your business and website.
What is Domain Hosting?
Domain hosting refers to services that let companies and users choose and register domains for their websites. These platforms do not always offer additional hosting services (such as managed, VPS, shared, etc.) but may include them as part of larger packages.
Similarly, many hosting companies include domain hosting as part of their standard deals to facilitate making website creation more convenient.
Why do You Need Domain Hosting?
No matter what size your company is, why you’re building a website, or even who your audience is, you need a domain for people to find you. A domain is your website’s address on the internet, and the only way people can access your site.
Essentially, without a domain, you don’t have a website, but it goes beyond just an address. Domain hosting gives you not just a URL for your visitors, but usually includes a variety of other tools and hosting services that make it easy to handle all your back-end activities and even website construction in a single location.
More importantly, domain hosting makes it easy for you to register your domain name without having to deal with the backend of the process—something that domain registrars (companies that sell domain names) handle for you.
What are the Benefits of Managed Hosting?
- You centralize all your website-related services. There are services that exclusively offer domain names, with no other features (known as domain registrars), but they can be difficult for first time users to deal with. Instead, domain hosting services give you all the services you need (including hosting, control panels, and even business tools like e-mail) in a single, convenient location.
- They make it easy to register a domain. If you’re trying to simply find a domain with no additional help, you may be looking for a while. Domain hosting services streamline the process of finding, verifying, and registering your domain by handling the heavy lifting and ensuring that the domain and extension combinations you like are available.
- They give you tools to add trust to your domain name. Most domain hosting services give you more than just a URL. They include security certificates from trusted sources (such as Norton and McAfee), as well as SSL certificates that indicate your website protects their privacy.
What Factors to Consider for Managed Hosting
- Do they offer domain transfers? While you may not need it when you purchase your domain, or even at all, knowing that your domain host gives you the opportunity to transfer your URL to another hosting service is important. As your website grows, so do your needs, and having to change your domain may undo all your progress. Your domain hosting services should give you the option to take your domain with you wherever you go.
- What pricing options do they offer? When you register a domain, it’s important to remember you’re not actually purchasing it forever, but rather “leasing” it. Most domain hosting services give you different term options ranging from one year to ten years (and in a few cases even longer). Moreover, some give you the option to renew your registration automatically, while others don’t. Finally, you should always see the cost of your preferred domain on several hosting services to see which makes the most sense for you.
- Do they tack on fees to your price? While a $1 a year fee sounds like a steal, you should always read the fine print for domain hosting. In some cases, registrars and hosting services may add on fees for things you assumed were included. For instance, an offer may show $1 a year, but that may not include privacy protection or WHOIS registration, which could add up to $20 a month, making your plan significantly less affordable.
- What additional features do they include? Most domain hosting services do more than simply registering domain names. Find one that can fill most of your checklist, from business e-mails to SSL certificates and in some cases even web hosting. While you may not need some or any of these, knowing they’re available can help make a better choice.
Choose the Best Domain Hosting
No matter what your business or website idea is, it all starts with having the right domain name. Before you commit to making a purchase that can lock you in for several years, make sure to read all the domain hosting reviews and information you can find, both from experts and users. With the right domain hosting, you can start building the best possible internet presence.